Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Vertical Number Sentences

Hi all!  This is a short and SWEET one!  We were working on writing vertical addition number sentences this week.  I wanted to share what I used last year that really worked with getting them to write it correctly!  (plus, it was fun!)

SWEET part--candy corn!  {Now, of course, at my school no food is allowed, but everyone knows about candy corn this time of year!}  I drew these candy corn templates, colored in orange and yellow.  Then I laminated and cut out.  Then---we used wipe off markers to practice writing our sentences!



{After I showed them horizontal number sentences and they wrote the vertical, we moved to using dominoes and practiced writing the number sentences}


After practicing, they made their own.  I gave them all another domino.  They had to figure out their number sentence that can be made from the domino and had to write the vertical number sentence on their candy corn.  They colored and cut out.  I displayed it on this eye-popping bulletin board that got lots of compliments!

Click {HERE} to grab yourself the template!





Have a sweet week/weekend!

8 comments :

  1. Angie this is so awesome and such a great way to teach vertical addition. We always crack up when our lil firsties put an = next to their answer down below. Just don't quite get the concept. This is perfect for teaching that! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this with my class and they loved it!! I also loved it because they totally understood how to write a vertical math problem! Thanks so much for this amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, LOVE this activity! I am so happy to be your newest follower :)
    If you have time, maybe you could come by my blog and visit me

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does the little white paper say on the board?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learned to read, write and answer vertical number sentences appropriately.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...