Saturday, November 30, 2013

Bucket Filling---Christmas idea Freebie!!

Well, this isn't an incredibly new and wonderful idea, but thought I would share what I'm doing this month.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Bucket-Filling-Friendship-Club-981022
*****I know that many of you do NOT use the bucket filling ideas within your classroom.  I kept that in mind making this packet.  This packet actually has 2 sections.  The first one has "Bucket Filling" and the second is a duplicate, however the words "Good Friends and Bad Friends" as well as Kind friends.  The club they will be in is called the "Friendship Club"***


First, we started a school-wide Bucket Filling program this year.  I was actually going to start it in my own classroom but the school-wide part is now an added bonus!  I love how it gets kids {and adults!!!} thinking about others and how their actions can change how people feel.

Well, since starting, my kids have become a little.... um.. comfortable with each other, and well, the bucket filling has since become bucket dipping.  So, I had to do something about it.

We started off by rereading the book and discussing what it's like to be a bucket filler and a bucket dipper.  We created this little anchor chart to remind us:


 Next {we'll start this when we get back}, we will discuss different ways to give compliments to others.  I hate when kids can only think about literal, not-so-sincere {though, sometimes needed!} compliments as, "you look pretty today" or "I like your shirt..."  We will discuss three different ways to start a compliment.

They will also complete a "Bucket Filling Buddy" Application!

During our weekly class meetings, we will go through a scenario from my packet that gets them thinking of what happened, if there was bucket filling or dipping as well as what would they do differently.  Many of the stories are from my own observations of them this year!  Some from years past and some just made up.


Each week we will have a challenge where students will be looking for things to fill buckets.  After a few weeks, I'll start accepting members into our club and they'll get certificates!  They will not be "inducted" all at the same time.  I want to make it something special and have them realize how they are capable of filling other buckets all the time.  I want the excitement of being a "member" to stay too!



For the month of December, we will be filling each others STOCKINGS!  We created our stockings before heading off to our Turkey Day break.  I hung them after they left {I had 12 hours of conferences to put in...}  When we get back, students will be filling "stockings."  These stockings will go home right before our holiday break.




Now, for those wondering.  What about those kids who don't get a lot of "notes?"  Well, my solution is simple.  I will be printing out a small class roster for each student.  They will cross off the person they write to.  Once they wrote to everyone, then they can start over!  {I'm sure I'll have a few overachievers}

 Click on the picture below to grab your freebie if you'd like to have a copy of the stocking template and stationary to write to friends.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Fill-a-Stocking-a-FREEBIE-Bucket-Filling-project-for-December-1002274



2 comments :

  1. I love the class roster idea! Thanks for reminding me that my third graders could use a Bucket Filling refresher when we get back. :-)

    Nichole
    The Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already printed out some of your cute stocking filler notes for this week! (Reduced them by printing 2 to a page...just right for us!) Looking forward to a happier lead up to Christmas break! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...