Tuesday, June 11, 2013

End of Year Gifts and A New Look!

I'm sure you've noticed!!  I have a brand new, pretty awesome blog look now!  I was tired of my old, dark, mismatched look.  After searching and looking, I went with the Honey Bunch Blog Design---and I am beyond thrilled!  LOVE! <3

I have 2 hours and 45 minutes left with my students.  It's been one of those years.  I will miss them dearly, however, I will enjoy not being as stressed as I was this past year.  I slept the best I have ever slept last night....  hoping for a repeat tonight.  Coincidence?!? 

Here is what I did for my kids this year.  I see about 40 first graders throughout the day, and have 3 different groups.  For my reading group-I just gave them a new book from Scholastic with my bonus points.  I noticed that Robert Munsch's Sandcastle Contest was $1, so I snatched it right up.  It was THE perfect gift for them, as they just are in love with him since our Author Study.  Easy, peasy.

For my math kids, I wasn't sure what to do.  One day I was shopping at the Dollar Store and I came across the supply aisle and saw the 3 pack of rulers (for $1) ;)  Perfect!  {Of course, just forget that we don't teach STANDARD measurement anymore.... the kids certainly didn't care!  OH-and you might want to have the little talk we had before they left my room.  Rulers are NOT weapons.  You know, just in case some of those boys have forgotten?!  They are also not backscratchers, drum sticks, fly swatters...}  :P


{Click HERE to grab a copy of the tag I attached to the rulers}

My homeroom was where I got creative.  Inspiration came from Pinterest of course!




Though, it took me FOREVER to find a mold for the popsicle crayons!  But, at last I did!  I'll save you the trouble---go here! {My popsicles started to become mixed ones as I ran out of colors---the kids will love it, I'm sure.  Of course my 2 little ones at home thought they were pretty cool, anyway!}


Word to the wise--they do NOT work well just baking in the oven....  bummer.  So I melted crayons in the microwave in small bowls I got at Target for just that reason.  {Another word to the wise--melt SAME color crayons together--otherwise you just get a brown crayon.  I did know this before melting!!}

I also had corkboard laying around that I had gotten at BJ's a few years ago.  It used to be up in my room, but has since fallen down.  If you don't have easy access to it, you can find it {HERE} fairly cheap.  I was able to get 9 small "clipboards" out of 1 sheet.  Make them about 3 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches.  I got the clips at the dollar spot at Target and the post-its from staples.  I divided the post-it notes into halves to clip to the boards.




You could get all creative and decorate the corkboard with duct tape, but it looks pretty cute all on its own!

{Click HERE to grab yourself the tag I used for this gift*}

Last, we created class books throughout the year that I sent home for parents to read, comment and return.  I disassmbled it and sorted them all by the student's work.  I whipped up this cover and used my random leftover cardstock that was in my closet.  Staple together---and you have yourself a fantastic keepsake for the parents!  {Whoops!  I completely forgot to take a pic of the final books to show you!}


{Click HERE for a copy of the cover sheet* also-I took the date off, so that you can use it ANY year}

*I included K-6 copies in the file

I know a lot of you are already out of school {LUCKY!!}, but you can tuck this away for next year!

7 comments :

  1. Love love love your new design! It's so adorable and the bright colors are so fun!

    The Polished Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new design... So cute!! And your end of the year gifts are precious. How creative you are ! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie,
    Your new owl design is adorable! I just had mine done by HBBD too and love them sooo much! The popsicle crayons are so fun. Enjoy your summer!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. *LOVE* your design! I used the Honey Bunch too! They're so awesome to work with. Your gift ideas are just precious. Hope these last few days go by quickly...admittedly, I've enjoyed my first few days off glued to the couch catching up on rest! =)

    ~Tanya
    A+ Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angie! I just found your blog through HBBD, they designed my blog too - I love your new design! Those popsicle crayons are adorable! I'm your newest follower:)

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new blog design is incredibly! So lovely! Your EOY gifts are adorable too!
    Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...