Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Making Connections Monday!

Hi all!  I am SO excited about our district's new focus for the year.  For years, we have been shuffling kids back and forth with different teachers to get their "needs" met.  As in, their academic needs.  We had a conversation at the end of last year to discuss NOT switching our babies so much... and they listened and reacted!  We are keeping our kids a LOT more.  I'm super excited about that.

Anyway, I had a brainstorm today, and hopefully we can get lots of different ideas that can be used in classrooms all over!

I introduce-Making Connections Monday (a day late this week though--but I couldn't wait till next Monday!) 


Check out this fabulous speech by Rita Pierson to be inspired and understand.  SO MOTIVATING!



Children pick up SO much from adults.  We are spending more time with these babies than their parents are.  It's so important to be making connections to help make a difference in their tiny lives.  They will forever remember it.  Which student will need you the most this year?

Here's what I can share this week, since I'm still not in school.  It's a freebie that I have posted about already.  During the first few days of school, I line my students up to play a little game.  They are in a line far away from me.  I will name some facts (or not!) about me.  If they think it is true, they step forward.  If they think it's false they stay put.  If they get it wrong---back to start!  It's a great way for students to get to know me and a little bit about me.  It also helps them realize that it's okay to make a mistakes! ;)




Click {HERE} to grab a copy!  It's editable for you to type in your own "facts"  I like to send home the sheet I read without answers the first night to see if the parents "know" me!  ;)

I want to start a weekly link up with ideas on how to make connections with students.  Research is all over this subject and all say the same thing.  In order for students to learn, their basic needs have to be met.  They need to feel secure and safe.  They need to know you care!  How are you making connections in your classroom?  What have you done this week?  How are you creating and continuing to foster your class community?

Link up below---Making Connections Monday!  My favorite quote from Rita that has stuck with me---Children won't learn from people they don't like!  SO true!


1 comment :

  1. What an AMAZING speech!!! Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...